#Razer recently announced a partnership with #Mars Wrigley to launch #RESPAWN By 5 – a mental performance boosting gum that helps gamers maintain their focus and super-quick reaction time. With so many people at home these days, the collaboration between the two disparate companies looks like a smart move.
The gaming industry has been growing steadily at an average of 5.9% YoY thanks to roughly 2.6B gamers worldwide. We looked into how Razer is currently positioned in the gaming laptops segment and made some interesting discoveries:
1. Over 9% of all customers looking at laptops on Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Bestbuy.com are viewing gaming laptops.
2. Razer ranked #5 while Acer leads the category across these sites.
Gaming Laptops Brands View Share on Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Bestbuy.com for August 2020.
3. Razer’s most trending laptop is the Blade 15 Gaming Laptop featuring Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core, 16GB RAM, and 256GB SSD.
4. Razer ranked highest on Amazon with an 11% share of views, and positioned #4 after Acer, MSI and Dell. On Walmart Razer ranked #6, and #7 on BestBuy.
RAZER Share of Views for total Gaming Laptops for August 2020.
5. Walmart is a serious contender for Gaming Electronics with 25% of laptops sold being gaming laptops (while Amazon and BestBuy’s share of gaming laptops is less than 10%).
This makes sense if you consider the fact that Walmart is pushing its own gaming laptop brand EVOO aggressively. Yet while EVOO, Dell/Alienware, Acer and HP still managed to secure >87% of the view share, Razer is only ranked #6.
Gaming View Share out of total Laptop Category for August 2020.
Razer seems to be missing out on Walmart and BestBuy’s sales channels and instead is mainly focusing on Amazon. So what can Razer do to increase its revenue share and leverage the increase in interest it has created?
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long term, and how Razer’s collaboration with Mars Wrigley will impact sales over the coming months. We will definitely follow up on this story – stay tuned.
If you’re interested in getting exclusive insights on your brand, click the banner below to get started!
Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest news about Market Beyond